Monday, August 16, 2010

Fasting (Will it help my food Bill?)

In our house we are fasting for one month. With six kids and two parents our food bill is a constant running total. Four of the kids are taking part in the fast as well as myself and Daddy. I was hoping to see the frig remain full longer than usual however... this does not seem to be happening. The three youngest have begun a festival of their own in my kitchen!

It seems that they now can have more without their older siblings getting to the food first.  As we gain in spirituality and self-control, they gain in body mass! This is an unforeseen reward. Yes, I said reward. How nice is it to see a three-year old help himself to the extra banana or fig newton?! They were  not deprived but they love the extra goodies. I have to say though that they also LOVE to share and share with Mommy. It gets hard to say no thanks to the sixth fig hovering near my mouth. But they do know I am fasting and apologize for the temptation. I love them for that.

My bill isn't getting any smaller either and the kitchen doesn't stay any cleaner for that matter! While that's not the reason for fasting, it seemed like a reasonable expectation. We are actually buying more and 'better' things to break our fast with. So much for expectations.

I should know better anyway, life is like that. Expect the best, prepare for the worst. That way you are ready for all the in-between.

Not eating or drinking during the day you find yourself  with more time. You really spend a great part of the day thinking of and planning the next meal. I have decided to spend my "extra" time in pursuit of knowledge that I have put off . I learn things all the time ,or relearn them as the case may be, for the children . So, now , I will devote some time to my interests. So far my fast has been less challenging than I expected. As Mom I think I prepare and serve much more food than I actually eat. Moms across the world probably do the same. I may feel differently at the end of thirty days.

Fasting is done for many reasons and the health benefits are many. I think that more people need to try fasting  to give them a sense of what a 'truly' hungry person may feel.( Although knowing you get a meal at the end of the day is NOT the reality for those in need). But anything to heighten our awareness of the plight of others can help .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Impressions from friends, thanks.